Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Comfy Mom Pants Pattern

I DID IT! Finally I am blogging about my favorite pants. Disclaimer: self portraits and modeling clothes is way harder than it looks! My neighbors probably think I am crazy by this point after seeing me try on 5-6 different outfits and run back and forth to my tripod today. If you saw me just laugh. I promise there was a method to the madness.

If  are like me you need some comfy pants. I know I know leggings are all the rage if you don't sew you love LuLaRoe double brushed poly ones. If you sew you wear PegLegs from Patterns for Pirates or maybe another company. Just a tidbit if you join patterns for pirates you can get the pegleg pattern for FREE! Here is the thing, I don't like leggings. I wore them out of necessity while pregnant. I also tried after the babies. I just don't enjoy them. I think maybe I am too self conscious. I don't love jeans, but I will wear them. So what is a mom to do!?! Bring on some Mama Bear Joggers. These are also from Patterns for Pirates. You can dress them up or down or just lounge in them. My opinion the best solution. These are made out of the softest French Terry from So Sew English. They are not my favorite pattern. Lilliana picked it out for a dress and then hated it when it arrived so I had to use them somehow. I think I may have wore them a week straight. French Terry is a perfect transition to spring, Not too hot or cold.

DSC_5127DSC_5157DSC_5160


The first original pair I made out of sweatshirt fleece and they are super warm. Don't pay attention to the shirt I paired them with. In reality it would work, but this particular shirt needs some adjusting and I'll address that in a minute.



DSC_5192

DSC_5189

Needless to say when I get my fabric budget back after birthdays and other expenses this month I will be ordering some more french terry for some more joggers. This pattern also comes in a capri and short length so a lot of options. I love these and plan to make a couple pair for summer pj pants. 


Now the pink shirt is a Slim Fit Raglan from Patterns for Pirates. I actually love this pattern, but this is one of those patterns that I have to tweak for myself. I began sewing because after 5 babies my body is a wreck even after losing 50 lbs. My shoulders are narrow and my stomach, hips, and thighs are not. I also am short so adjusting my own clothes was the best idea. This was a muslin piece and while I absolutely love the top part, the curved hem needs some adjusting. The fabric choice also has not recovered well. It is in my stack to readjust. So it really is not flattering. The sleeves are brushed poly which is so soft and what LuLaRoe uses. This happens to be some of my favorite fabric and I really should have purchased more as I can no longer find it. I bought this from Knitpop which ships super fast. It was available elsewhere, but I needed it in a week for a Christmas present. It arrived in 3 days because they ship that fast! The leftovers are what you see here. Lilliana and I have matching shirts. 


DSC_5206DSC_5221
DSC_3438

The slim fit raglan with add on pack has so many options. This is another one I made out of my favorite french terry. This is the fabric that sold me on  rayon spandex french terry. I still have 2 yards and I am so happy about that. The girls are getting rompers from some of it, and I may hoard the rest until the perfect project. The mail lady also has some soft gloves from it. Regardless it is my favorite. It is of course from So Sew English Fabrics. The pink is a solid rayon spandex. If you purchase two yards of anything you can make it a bundle for $8.00 more and they will send 2 yards of coordinating fabric that matches. It is my favorite part. The rest of the rayon spandex is going to be a summer shirt I believe.

This particular raglan has a ruched neck and banded bottom along with side pockets. If I can add pockets I do. I pretty much just love pockets being a mom. There are many more options. It is definitely a favorite pattern and I will be using it more.

DSC_5231DSC_5227DSC_5242

I truly use to hate shopping just because my poor body has changed so much. This past year I have learned to sew for my body shape even with my curves. Somethings work and some things don't like the pink raglan. I know it needs some adjustment. I have learned to love my body again and that has been important. I also can get more bang for my buck with a little effort. It has been therapeutic. I am testing a new women's shirt and can't wait to share that next week.  

I am not going to reinvent the wheel with these blog posts. I am sure I could come up with some awesome marketing tool etc. and stand out in some way. The truth is, there are so many wonderful tutorials and resources already available. I promise they do a better job than I would. I just love to show off my creations. My style may not be yours and that is cool. I know I have a different style. As my husband says I just like to be different. If it is normal, I will purposely do the opposite...so he says. I want to inspire though. If you have ever wanted to sew you really can. Everybody has to start somewhere. This amazing Ebook came out this week. You can get it for free for a limited time by joining her group. I know a lot of FB groups, but hey FREE! I wish I had had this two years ago. It is fabulous and I have learned even some things reading it. It is called The Beginner's Guide to Sewing Knit Apparel. The lady that wrote it is fabulous and her style is amazing. She sews some great things. So check it out and maybe get started yourself. I promise you too can learn to sew beautiful things and of course COMFY MOM PANTS!!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You are so talented! I love the pants! I'm not a huge fan of leggings either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beauty glows! Makes me want to start sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis, we've never met but your beauty shines through your images and posts - you're glowing!

    ReplyDelete