Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lets talk "Going Green" or Just plain Economical Sense!

First let me say half the stuff I never invisioned myself doing. The original premise behind the "Green" movement is to save the earth. Personally I know God created the earth and realize it is just fine. I don't believe my carbon footprint is going to go ruin earth. Nor do I believe the rainforests are dying because we use cars, breath, etc. All that being said after doing lots of research and seeing things I realized there is a lot of stuff that is just not healthy for us. A lot of these things came about when we made the decision to use a midwife instead of an OB to deliver I our babies.

I have to admit my first interview at the Birth Center kinda freaked me out. They started talking about cloth diapers and I am thinking these people are NUTS!! Thankfully I continued and learned lots of great things. Then I began doing my own research. I won't say we do a ton of "Green" things but we do a few. I also have been trying to cut down on the chemicals and crap in food that we eat. In all honesty a lot of the green things we do can be chalked up to just plain old economical sense.

Our biggest thing we do is cloth diaper. Yes I fell into it and we cloth diaper. I honestly LOVE cloth diapering or as us cloth diapers call it FLUFF. CDs have changed so much. No more prefolds and pins unless you want. Here is a link to a store with modern cloth diapers. There are many patterns, colors, styles, etc. http://www.zbeardiapers.com/  They save us a ton of money in the end and they are better for baby. Disposables have a lot of chemicals in them. I just read a story where the dioxins in disposables were causing a little boy seizures. Yes that is an extreme case but really that is pretty scary.

I also have gone what is known as "Poo Free" for a while. I would have continued it but went to get my hair cut and it got washed and so it ruined it. Basically you only wash your hair with baking soda and rinse with apple cider vinegar. My hair actually was the best its ever been. Regular shampoo and conditioner makes your oil glands produce a lot of oil so you have to wash more. This way you only wash maybe once a week. There can be a detox period which mine lasted a month but after that it was great! I loved it.

I also try to use natural things and organic things when I can. Honestly it is expensive and we really can not afford it so I do not all the time. I know that organic fruit is better because it does not have all the toxins and hormones in it but the reality is we can not afford that at this point. I do make the kids baby food because I know it won't have all the crap in it. We also garden. Although last year learned the hard way that walnut trees will kill a garden if too close!

My other favorite thing is known as Diva Cup or menstrual cup. No pads or tampons and so much easier, nicer, and more comfortable. I won't go into too many details all that to say it and the cloth diapers are probably my favorite things that we do "green" but in all honesty its more about trying to be economical and not put so many chemicals in our bodies. I am not the best but I try. I don't feel better about the earth for it either. It is me feeling like I do better for my body because I need to take care of it. Hopefully this week Ill get around to do my birth blog. I keep meaning to but want to take some time and have been busy with things. That is where I tend to be the most conservative and natural.

On a lighter note I took my belly pictures yesterday and wow have I grown in two weeks. Here they are
38 weeks and 2 days!
At this point with Eli I was a week from having to have him do to my Preclampsia. My face was soo swollen looking back but here are the comparison pictures. I am bigger this pregnancy no doubt. Then again I started with more weight....my goal to lose it all this time!!! Oh well I will say I don't look so young anymore. LOL
I also forgot to mention these pictures are from our one  year anniversary. Its hard to believe that was two years ago. As impatient and ready as I was yesterday to have this baby I am feeling much better today and am ok with not having it. I realized its only a week and a half until my due date and so I can even go over and its not that long. As I have said before maybe by tomorrow our new addition will be on its way and maybe it won't. Either way it will be a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. cute. cute comparisons too.
    here's what i think about natural things... yes, they are ridiculously expensive in the store! but anything we want to put on our body, we can make at home, naturally. it's a gimic to buy that "natural" stuff at the store!
    as for organic eating, yeah... a garden is the way to go, girl! maybe someday we'll have acreage and the means to grow all our own food... until then, you just do as well as you can with what you have!

    ReplyDelete